Sayur Asem, sour mixed vegetables soupDec 23 2013 · Recipe from Java
3 young tamarind pod, break into halve; 100gr shallots, peeled and sliced thinly; 2 cloves of garlic (optional), peeled and sliced thinly; 3 long curly chilies, 5cm fresh galangal, sliced thinly; chopped roughly; ½ teaspoon shrimp paste (roasted) or replaced with 1 tablespoon fish sauce; 3 candlenuts or replaced with macadamia nuts, 1 liter water; 1 tablespoon palm sugar, salt to season.
50gr fresh melinjo nut and peanuts; 1 whole fresh sweet corn, sliced from the cob; 1 medium chayote, peeled under running water, 150gr each of young jack fruit, pumpkin and green raw papaya, peeled and chopped into cubes, small bunch of melinjo leaves, 2 long beans, 2 long red chilies, sliced thinly for garnish
- Put one liter water into a large pan, add fresh melinjo nut, add ground mixture of chilies, candlenuts, shrimp paste and add sliced galangal, shallots, garlic and young tamarind pod and bring to the boil and simmer for around 30-40 minutes to infuse the flavours and to soften the melinjo nut. Season with salt and add palm sugar.
- In the mean time, boil the whole long beans for 2-3 minutes and put into ice water to stop the cooking process and make around 4-5 small knots for each the long beans and cut into knot segment. This is optional for give a different look to the humble long beans. You can simply just slice into 1cm length if you prefer.
- Strain the broth into a different pan and add jackfruit first and cook for 10 minutes. Then add, the rest of the vegetables except melinjo leaves and corn and cook for another 10 minutes or until soft.
- In the mean time, remove the skin from the melinjo nuts and set aside. Also removed the shell and thin skin from the melinjo nuts.
- Before serving, check the final seasoning. Add the corn, melinjo skin, nuts and melinjo leaves and cook for 30 seconds.
- Divide the soup into 4 individual soup bowls, garnish with sliced red chilies and serve hot immediately.