Pan-fried salmon with sambal ijo, mashed potatoes, glazed asparagus and baby carrots.Feb 15 2014 · Recipe from New Ideas
For a milder taste, use fewer chilies and add more shallots or add two or three green birds-eye chilies for an extra kick. You can replace the salmon with any other fillet fish, breast chicken, prawn, beef tenderloin or tofu.
6 salmon fillets (sashimi quality preferably) @ 120gr; salt and black pepper to season; 2 tablespoons lime juice; 4 tablespoons olive oil (2 tablespoons for pan-fried)
For the pesto: 150 grams large green chilies; 100 grams shallots, peeled and roughly chopped; 25 grams local basil leaves or kemangi; 3 cloves of garlic; 100 milliliters extra virgin olive oil; 2 tablespoons roasted dried anchovies (ikan teri Medan); 2 tablespoons lime juice; 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the mashed potatoes: 500gr butter potatoes, peeled and chopped roughly; 150gr salted butter, chopped into cubes; salt to season (optional)
For the vegetables: 25gr butter; 6 baby carrots, peeled; 6 large green asparagus, discard the rough stalks and peeled the skin (only half), 3 medium beetroots, peeled and steamed for 30 minutes or until soft, cut into wedges; 1 fresh pomegranate, sliced into halved and squeezed to remove the flesh-covered seeds of pomegranate, set aside
- To make the mashed potatoes: simply boiled it for 20 minutes or until tender and drain. Transfer to a blender and add chopped butter and blend until soft and silky. Transfer the mixture back into a pan and ready to reheat.
- In the mean time, roast teri medan(dried small anchovies). Heat a frying pan over a low-medium heat and add the fish. Cook without oil for 5-7 minutes or until crunchy. Set aside.
- To make the pesto/sambal ijo: bring to boil one liter of water. Add green chilies and cook for 2 minutes, then add basil and cook for 15 seconds. Drain and transfer chilies and basil into ice-cold water. Set aside for 5-7minutes then drain.
- Heat a frying pan. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, shallots and garlic. Sauté for 7 minutes in medium heat. Stirring all the time. Transfer cooked shallots and garlic to a blender or food processor. Add chilies, basil and extra virgin olive oil. Process until ingredients are blended well with thick sambal texture. Transfer the mixture into a bowl and add lime juice and half of the dried anchovies. Warm this mixture and add the rest of the dried anchovies, just before serving.
- For the vegetables, simply boiled the carrots for 5-6 minutes or until soft and add the asparagus and blanched for 45 seconds. Strain and put the asparagus to a bowl with cold water and put the carrots into a frying pan with melted butter in low heat and add the asparagus just before serving. Reheat the mashed potatoes now. Glazed the beetroot wedges in a different frying pan.
- To prepare the salmon, heat a frying pan until really hot. Season the salmon with salt, black pepper, lime juice and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add 2 tablespoons oil to the frying pan and add the salmon and cooked only 2 minutes. Turn each of the salmon and turn the heat off.
- To serve, divide the mashed potatoes into six warm dishes, add the vegetables and pomegranate, salmon and a tablespoon of sambal for each plate and drizzle with the sambal oil. Or simply serve the meal with family style.