Oxtail SoupFeb 18 2014 · Recipe from Java
This is very easy to make but take along time. To make this rustic dish into fine dish, you can make the broth into oxtail consommé, remove the oxtail meat from the bone to make delicious dumpling and add roasted sliced of tenderloin beef and serve with the same vegetables and herbs as the classic oxtail soup.
1.2kg chopped oxtail, trim the fat and discard; 100gr shallots, peeled and keep whole; 3 cloves of garlic peeled, finely ground; 5cm each of fresh ginger and galangal; peeled and finely grated; 2 small spring onions finely chopped; 4 carrots, peeled and chopped around 2cm length; 2 large potatoes, cut into medium cubes; 1 stick cinnamon, ½ teaspoon cloves; 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg; 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper; 2 lime leaves; 2.5 liters water; Juice of 2 limes; 1 tablespoon roughly chopped Chinese parsley; salt to season
2 tablespoons crunchy deep fried shallots; 2 tablespoons finely chopped Chinese parsley; 2 tablespoons finely chopped spring onion; 2 tomatoes discard the seeds and chopped in small squares; extra sliced lime and sliced chilies (optional)
- Place the oxtail into a large pot and cover with room temperature water and bring to the boil. After boiling five minutes, discard the water and rinse the oxtail and add room temperature water until covering the oxtail and bring to the boil again. Repeat this process 2 times. On the 3th times, add 2 liters water to cover the oxtail and add all the ingredients except the carrots and potatoes and simmer for 3-4 hours. If the water starts to boil away top up, the oxtail should always be covered with water. Sauté
- Sauté the garlic, grated ginger and galangal with one-tablespoon oil until golden brown. Add into the oxtail mixture.
- Add the carrots and potatoes after two hours cooking the oxtail. Cook and simmer all together for another 1 hour or until all are tender and soft.
- Season the mixture with salt and add limejuice. Now, you have nice texture of soup liquid with tender whole shallots, soft vegetables and oxtail with delicious flavour.
- To serve: arrange two pieces of oxtail and some vegetables on four individual large bowl soups. Add the liquid of the soup accordingly and add chopped raw tomatoes on top, and sprinkle with crunchy shallots, chopped Chinese parsley, round thinly sliced red bird eye chilies. Serve immediately.