Mixed vegetables and fruits served with a spicy, sour and sweet sauce – Asinan JakartaJul 13 2016 · Recipe from Java
This is a very refreshing and colourful salad dish with sweet, spicy and tangy flavours from vinegar. It can be served with rice or shrimp crackers. A nice touch is to use a vegetable peeler to create a short spaghetti texture for this humble dish of julienned fruit. I serve it in a martini glass to give a modern touch. It is a perfect starter for any occasion.
For the Salad:
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 medium cucumbers, seeds removed and cut into small cubes
- One quarter of a white cabbage (about 100 gr), shredded
- 50gr bean sprouts, rinsed, dried with roots removed
- 150gr white firm tofu, boil (optional)
- 100gr jicama, peeled and grated
- 100gr pineapple, cut into small cubes
- 50gr roasted peanuts or cashew, roughly chopped (optional)
For the Dressing:
- 3 red large papaya chillies, seeds discarded
- 2-3 red birds-eye chillies boiled for 5 minutes and dunked in cold water
- 50ml tbsp vinegar
- 150ml simple sugar syrup
- 2 tbsp dried shrimp, roasted and ground finely
- Salt to taste
- To roast the peanuts: Pre-heat oven to 150°C. Place the peanuts on a baking tray and cook for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Alternatively cook in a dry frying pan over low heat for 5-7 minutes until golden brown, stirring constantly. Set aside to cool.
- To make the sauce: boil all chillies for around 10 minutes. Remove the seeds of the papaya chillies but retain the seeds of the birds eye chillies. The large papaya chillies give a vivid red coloured sauce and also act as thickening agent.
- Put the sugar syrup and chillies into a blender and run until smooth. Strain the liquid over a bowl.
- Add the vinegar and add a touch of salt. Taste the final seasoning and add more sugar syrup if necessary.
- To serve, place the mixed vegetables and fruits into 4 or 6 martini glasses. Add the sauce. Sprinkle the roughly ground nuts and serve immediately.