Lime Chicken with Salsa and Avocado WrapJan 20 2015 · Recipe from New Ideas
It is time to enjoy a wrap
With our busy life, sometimes it is challenging to prepare a healthy meal for our family in short time. But there are many quick cooking methods and many ways to do it. Salad, sandwich, fried-noodles with plenty of vegetables and other protein, stir-fried vegetables with tofu or sliced breast chicken are easy meals to prepare with no time.
If you like sandwich but you don’t want to have too much carbohydrate, perhaps a wrap is something that you are looking for. A wrap is similar to sandwich with a soft flatbread rolled around a filling which usually consist of cooked meat or poultry, eggs or fish accompanied by diced tomato, cucumber, cooked mushroom and onion, shredded lettuce with adding grated cheese and sauce or mayonnaise.
We can find a wrap in Mexican cuisine with tortillas and burritos, Turkish or Moroccan cuisine with kebab and pita bread.
You can create many different flavour with adding pesto or any type of sambal with chicken, beef or fish and add some vegetables, which have natural flavours such as grated carrots, shredded lettuce or any salad leaves and tomatoes. Also you can create a vegetarian meal simply with roasting paprika, zucchini, and eggplants with tomato, shallot and chilies or with thyme for Mediterranean flavour. To make 100 percent Indonesian vegetarian tortillas or wrap flavours, you can put all the mixture of gado-gado, pecel or urap and add the extra ingredients such as fried tempe or tofu and simply wrap it neatly.
How about a wrap for gluten free? It is also possible. You can replace the tortillas wrap with whole cabbage or iceberg lettuce leave. It is important to steam the whole cabbage leave briefly to soften the leave. It helps to wrap the filling easily. For iceberg lettuce you may steamed it or used it fresh. A wrap it is convenience food. You can enjoy it even when you are on the move although I don’t really recommended it. It is always nice to take your time and sit down to enjoy a meal.
For this recipe I have lime chicken with tomato salsa and avocado wrap. You can buy ready to use tortilla wraps, which is easy to buy in supermarket or bakery. I serve it with extra salad on the side. Enjoy!
This tastes so delicious and easy to make. It is great for snacking or pack lunch for office. You can recycle any left over meat or fish for a wrap.
- 2 butterfly medium chicken breast, cut each into two pieces, salt and black pepper to season
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of canola or soya oil 20 medium Romano lettuces leaves, washed and dried with kitchen towel
- 4 warm large round flat bread
For tomato salsa and avocado:
- 4 red ripe large tomatoes, 2 ripe medium avocados, 5 shallots, peeled and chopped finely
- 4 curly red chilies, sliced thinly; 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 6 tablespoons canola or soya oil; a small bunch of coriander leaves, salt and black pepper to taste
- To prepare the chicken: season the chicken with salt, back pepper, lime and olive oil.
- Heat a griddle pan until really hot and place the chicken on the hot griddle. Cook for 3-4 minutes each side and turn the heat off but leave the chicken on the griddle pan and let the chicken cook thoroughly.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180oC.
- In the mean time, prepare the salsa. Cut each of the tomatoes into halves and discard the seeds. Use a small spoon to remove the seeds easily. Then cut the tomatoes into 1cmx1cm cubes. Put in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Cut the avocados into halve. Removed the stone and peeled and cut into 1cmx1cm cubes. Transfer into the tomato bowl. Add chopped shallots and sliced chilies. Don’t mix the mixture yet. Set aside
- Sliced the breast chicken with ¼ cm thickness. Set aside.
- Now, you can warm the flat bread by placing them on the oven rack and warm it for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the limejuice and extra olive oil into the salsa mixture. Season with salt and black pepper.
- To assemble the wrap, place the warmed tortillas on individual serving plates. Add some leaves and sliced chicken between four portions. Put aside a small portion for side dish. Top with salsa and lettuce and fold to enclose the filling. Serve the wrap with extra salad leaves and salsa on the side. Serve immediately.