Gravalax with Mixed Green SaladDec 02 2015 · Recipe from Christmas
- 500gr sashimi-quality whole salmon fillet, skinless; use kitchen towel to pat dry
- 40gr / 4 heaped tbsp rock salt or sea salt
- 15gr / 1.5 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp ground black pepper
- 50gr fresh dill, washed & dried well with kitchen towel
- 300gr mixed salad leaves
- 50ml honey
- Mustard & Vinaigrette Salad Dressing (recipe follows)
- Lay the salmon in a long and narrow dish. (You may need to cut it in half to fit the dish.)
- Mix together the salt, sugar and black pepper. Finely chop the dill stalks and half of the leaves and mix with the seasoning. Finely chop the rest of the dill leaves and set aside to use as garnish.
- Press half of the seasoning mixture evenly onto the fish, then turn the fillet over and repeat with the rest of the mixture.
- Cover the dish with cling film, place an oval plate on top of the dish and weigh down. (Do not crush the fillet.) Chill in the fridge for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, drain off the liquid from the dish. Rinse off the seasoning with ice-cold mineral water and pat dry with kitchen towels. Lay the fillet in a clean plate and sprinkle the reserved chopped dill evenly on both sides of the salmon.
- Wrap tightly in cling film and chill for another 6 hours.
- Using a long sharp knife, slice the salmon in thin, long pieces and place on a clean dish.
To serve: Toss the salad leaves in the dressing and arrange mounds of the salad on one side of a large serving plate. Place the gravalax on the other side. Serve cold.