Grandma’s Pumpkin Soup with Chilies, Ginger and Coconut SoupNov 03 2014 · Recipe from Sulawesi and Maluku
This pumpkin soup has a hint of Manadonese flavor that will sneak up on you, and a taste of coconut milk that will warm up your winter days. You can find this recipe also at rasamasa.com
- 1 kg pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and cut into cubes
- 10 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 5cm ginger, chopped
- 4 red chilies, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 100ml thick coconut milk
- 500ml hot water or chicken/vegetables stocks
- Black pepper
- Steam the pumpkin until tender.
- Pour oil onto heated frying pan, and sauté garlic, shallots chilies and ginger until their aroma is released. Remove from heat.
- Blend the pumpkin together with the sautéed spices until it becomes you get a consistency that is creamy.
- Pour into a pot and heat the pumpkin, while adding the coconut milk.
- Season the pumpkin soup with salt and black pepper.
- Serve in a soup bowl, and drizzle with coconut milk.
Tips & Tricks
You can use butternut squash instead of pumpkin.
If you prefer to roast the pumpkin, season it first with salt and black pepper, and drizzle with vegetable oil. Place the pumpkin on a tray and roast until tender (45 minutes at 180oC/350oF).