Fried chicken with aromatic leaves from AcehFeb 13 2014 · Recipe from Sumatera
Serves 10 (2 drum sticks per person)
20 chicken drum sticks; 200ml water; 50gr tamarind paste; salt and black pepper to taste; a large bunch of curry leaves, 7 pandan leaves, chopped to 3cm strips, 10 lime leaves ; vegetable oil for deep-frying
For the bumbu:
150gr shallots, peeled and sliced and finely; 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped finely; 75gr fresh ginger, peeled; 50gr galangal, peeled; 10gr turmeric, peeled and5 bird-eye chilies, chopped roughly
- Season the chicken drumstick with salt and black pepper.
- Chopped the ginger, turmeric, galangal finely, chilies and grind. Mix the mixture shallot, garlic, tamarind and chicken. Mix well. Transfer the chicken into a large pan.
- To make the tamarind water, mix 200ml water and add 50gr tamarind. Squeezed the tamarind to soften and mix well with the water. Strain the water through sieve. Add tamarind water to the chicken mixture and bring to the boil and cook in low-medium heat for around 45 minutes.
- Heat a large wok or a pan and add the vegetable oil. Make sure the oil is hot before adding the chicken. Add the chicken and add the pandan, curry and lime leaves 5 minutes later. Fried the chicken until slightly golden.
- Transfer the chicken and the leaves onto a large plate with a kitchen towel to absorb access oil. Then transfer the chicken and all the leaves onto a serving plate and serve immediately.