Es pallu butung with strawberry granita, strawberry compote and thick young coconut sauceFeb 21 2014 · Recipe from Sulawesi and Maluku
It has very refreshing taste with fresh strawberries and a light and delicious young coconut flavour. A perfect combination with steamed banana.
5-6 ‘kapok’ kapok or 3 ripe plantains
2-3 tablespoons of condense milk (optional)
450gr fresh ripe strawberries, hulled and cut into halves; 175gr sugar; 3 tablespoons lime juice; 600 ml water; you need 2 ice cream container with 500ml capacity each
150ml coconut cream (homemade preferably but you can use tin coconut if you prefer); coconut flesh from 4 young coconuts;
600gr fresh strawberries, washed and quarter half of the strawberries and put the other half into a blender to make juice, 4 tablespoons sugar; 50ml lime juice; 100ml water; 1 vanilla pods, sliced lengthwise and remove the vanilla beans
- For the banana, simply steam the banana with the skin until soft.
- To prepare the granita. Put the strawberry in a colander and briefly rinse. Dry with a kitchen towel.
- Put the strawberries in food processor, add sugar and puree then add water and lime juice. Blend again for a few seconds.
- Pour the mixture into the ice cream container, cover with the lid and put into the freezer for 2 hours. By that time, the mixture should have started to freeze around the edges and the base of the container.
- Take a large fork and mix the frozen mixture into the unfrozen then re-cover and repeat until all mixture turns to frozen and leave it overnight.
- For the coconut sauce: simply put the young coconut flesh and coconut cream into a blender and blend until very smooth and very thick cream texture. Transfer the mixture into a bowl and put in the refrigerator.
- For the strawberry compote. Simply put all the ingredients into a pan, bring to the boil and turn the heat into low-medium heat until all the sugar dissolved and the vanilla infused. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the texture is approaching to syrupy texture. Set aside to cool.
- To serve, prepare 10-12 large glasses or small glass bowls. Scrape the granita and put into the glasses, add 5-7 slices of banana and add a tablespoon of thick coconut sauce and drizzle with strawberry compote. Garnish with mint leaves. Serve immediately.