Chicken soto with a twistDec 15 2013 · Recipe from Java
This is chicken soto without coconut milk. It is good idea to use local spring chicken, ayam kampung as it has less fat than broiler chicken. It has more flavors. It is important to simmer the chicken for 2 hours to have good and delicious chicken stock. This is good to serve as a starter or main course without rice.
- 1 whole spring chicken, ayam kampung, discards the skin and cut into 8 pieces.
Make sure the breast and leg are cut nicely and keep them whole.
- 75gr shallots, peeled, 10cm ginger, peeled and sliced roughly; 2 sticks of lemon grass, bruised, 1 small head of garlic, cut in half width ways, 3 lime leaves; 3 curly red chilies, chopped roughly, 1 spring onion, roughly chopped; salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
- 150gr rice noodles or you can also use glass noodles, 100gr beansprout, discard the roots, washed with mineral water and set aside; 6-8 boiled eggs, 50gr shallots, peeled and sliced thinly; 2 large red tomatoes, discard the seed and cut into small squares, set aside; juice of 2-3 limes, 2 spring onions, cut thinly, local celery, chopped finely; 4 limes, cut into wedges
- 5 red curly chilies, 2 red bird-eye chilies, 2 cloves of garlic, salt to season
Simply grind finely all the ingredients and ready to use
- Place the pieces of chicken into a large pan and add 2 litters water and bring to the boil. Discard the water immediately and add 2 litters fresh water and all the ingredients for chicken stock and bring to the boil and simmer in low heat for 2 hours. You will have clear stock with full of flavor.
- In the mean time, boil the eggs for 10 minutes and put in cold water and set aside.
- Season the sliced shallots with salt and deep fried until golden brown. Place the cooked shallots on kitchen towel to absorb excess oil. Set aside.
- Soak the noodles in hot boiling water for 5 minutes and put in cold water to stop the cooking process. Strain and set aside.
- After simmering the stock, strain the stock and bring the stock back to the pan. Season with salt, white pepper and add the limejuice.
- To serve: sliced thinly the chicken breast and thigh around. Set aside. Place the noodles to each of the serving bowl, add the hot stock and add sliced chicken, chopped tomatoes, sprinkle with chopped spring onion, local green celery and last put sliced boiled egg on top. Serve immediately with sambal and lime wedges on the side.