Chicken ‘gagape’ with cauliflower salad twistFeb 14 2014 · Recipe from Sulawesi and Maluku
Breast chicken gagape with carrot, cucumber and cauliflower salad
The sliced breast chicken gives modern twist into this classic dish served with simple mixed salad. The contrast temperature of hot chicken and cold salad is so refreshing. To make a vegetarian option, simply replace the chicken with tofu or tempe.
3 butterfly breast chicken, cut into two pieces and you will have 6 breast chicken; 1-tablespoon limejuice; salt and black pepper to taste
5cm fresh galangal and ginger; 5cm barbequed or roasted fresh turmeric root (finely grated all the roots spices); 75gr shallots, peeled and sliced thinly; 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced thinly; 1 teaspoon whole coriander, roasted and ground; 1 teaspoon cumin, roasted and ground; 100ml coconut cream; 2 salam leaves; 2 lemon grass, used the white part only, crushed; 150gr coconut flesh, grated and roasted; juice of 1 lime
2 medium carrot – peeled and makes ribbon shape using potato or vegetables peeler; 2 tomatoes, discard the seeds and cut into cubes; 1 large cucumber, sliced lengthwise, remove the seeds and makes ribbon shape using potatoes peeler; 100gr cauliflower, break into florets, blanched for 3-4 minutes and refresh with ice water, strain. Keep all salad ingredients in the refrigerator until you need them.
2 tablespoons rice or apple vinegar; 3 tablespoons canola or soya oil; 2 lemon grass (use white part only), 1 red curly chillies, sliced thinly; ¼ teaspoon of sugar, season with salt and black pepper
- First prepare roasted coconut and whole turmeric. Simply cook the grated coconut and whole turmeric on dried-frying pan in medium-high and roast for 25-30 minutes. Stirring all the time. Set aside! Finely grated the turmeric.
- Prepare the paste. Put all the ingredients in a food processor (except the coconut cream and roasted coconut) or using a pestle and mortar to make a fine paste.
- Marinated the chicken with limejuice, salt, black pepper and the paste for around 20 minutes.
- Put the coconut cream into a pan and add the salam leaves and lemon grass stalk and bring to simmer. Add the chicken with the paste and roasted grated coconut into the coconut mixture and bring to the gently boil and cook the chicken for around 8-10 minutes. Turn the chicken over half way.
- Taste the seasoning. Add salt, black pepper and add lime juice if necessary to give balance acidity. Turn the heat off but leave the chicken on the pan and cover it while prepare the salad.
- All the salad ingredients are ready. Prepare the dressing. Removed the tough layer of lemon grass, use the white part and soft only, sliced thinly. Mix all the ingredients together. Season with salt and black pepper. Mix well.
- To serve: sliced each of breast chicken with around 1 cm thickness. Place the chicken on individual serving plate and add the salad on the side. Serve immediately.