Biryani Rice with Fillet White SnapperJun 24 2015 · Recipe from Sumatera
Aceh Nasi Beriani
You can prepare this dish a day before and reheat when you need it. You can serve as it is or with your favourite vegetables. I really like to serve it with roasted eggplants with tomatoe and chillies sauce. It is similar to ‘terong balado’ (fried eggplant with chillies and shallots from west Sumatera) with additional of tomatoes. The eggplant is roasted not deep fried. The combiantion of the biryani rice and roasted eggplants and tomato are excellent. It is easy to use volume to measure the rice and water with using a measure jug.
- 300ml basmati rice and 300ml water
- 300gr fillet white snapper, cut into squares shape around 2cm x 2 cm
- Juice of 1 lime
- salt and black pepper to season the fish
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onion, peeled and sliced thinly lengthwise
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 6 whole cardamon
- 3 star anis
- 7gr fresh ginger and turmeric
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- 1 teaspon fennel
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried chillies flakes
- 100gr raisin, boiled half of the raisin with 50ml water until all water evaporated to give moisture to the raisin
- 2 tablespoons cashew nuts (optional)
- 4 tablespoons crunchy shallots
- a small handfull of fresh mint leaves (don’t chopped but tear the leaves)
- Wash the rice and add 300ml water and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low-medium until the water has been absorbed. Turn off the heat and cover the rice. Set aside.
- Heat a frying pan add the oil and add the sliced onion and garlic and saute for around two minutes and add the ginger and tumeric, cinnamon, cardamon and star anis. Saute until the onion is brown or around 6-7 minutes. Stirring the mixture from time to time.
- Season the fish with salt, black pepper and lime juice and add into the spice mixture.
- Cook for around 1 minutes each side. Add the rest of the spices. Cook for two minutes and add the rice. Mix well but gently. You will find the fish is breaking into chunky small pieces.
- Add the raisin and 1-2 tablespoon of melted butter for rich taste or simply add 1-2 tablespoon of water.
- Season with salt and black pepper, check the final seasoning.
- Sprinkle with crunchy shallots (fried shallots), cashew nuts and fresh mint leaves. Serve immediately.