Acehnese fried noodles with prawn and mixed vegetableFeb 13 2014 · Recipe from Sumatera
500gr fresh yellow noodles; 12 medium prawns, peel and deveined, keep the tail intact; 400-500ml prawn stock; 2 medium carrots, grated; 50gr beansprout, removed the roots; 8 tablespoons sweet soya sauce; 3 tablespoons salty soya sauce; 200gr shallots, peeled and sliced thinly; 2-3tablespoons vegetable oil; salt to taste if necessary
For the paste:
1 tablespoon ground dried red chilies flakes; 8cm fresh ginger and turmeric; 4 cloves of garlic; 5 candlenuts; 1 ½ -tablespoon curry powder (mixture of roasted 1/2 teaspoon of each fennel, cumin, coriander seeds, cardamom, black pepper and fenugreek)
Sliced of 3 lime juice
Shallots and cucumber pickle (optional)
Melinjo nut crackers
Deep-fried shallots (optional)
- To make prawn stock, heat a pan add 1 tablespoon of oil and cook the prawn until turn to pink reddish colour or for around 3-4 minutes and add 1 liter water and cook and reduce the liquid to half and set aside.
- Grind the turmeric, ginger, garlic, candelnuts and chilies and set aside.
- Heat a wok or a pan, add the oil and add the sliced shallots. Cook until golden brown and add the paste except the curry powder and cook for around 2-3 minutes then add the curry powder. Cook for extra a minute, stirring all the time.
- Add the stock and soya sauce. Add the prawn and cook until 2-3 minutes. Check the taste. Add more salt if necessary.
- In the mean time, boil the noodles in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, strain and transfer into the sauce mixture with all the vegetables. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Divide the noodles into four or six individual plates or serve it on a large serving plate to share. Add some raw grated carrots and beansprout on top. Place the prawns on the side. And add sliced lime and melinjo nut on the side. Serve hot.